Sleep disorders are very common in our modern, fast paced lives and stress is often the number one cause. Since lack of sleep can be very detrimental to our health, it is important that we address early symptoms of insomnia before our bodies become depleted and additional health problems are created.
According to Ayurveda, insomnia is an expression of increased Vata which disturbs the mind and nervous system. When aggravated, Vata dosha can change its natural direction and move upwards, agitating our thoughts and at times creating constipation as well.
Pacifying Vata is the best way to calm the nervous system and restore our natural sleep rhythm:
• Stick to a daily routine as much as possible, getting up and going to bed at the same time.
• Massage the soles of the feet and the scalp with warm sesame oil before going to bed.
• Take a hot bath before going to bed.
• Drink a cup of herbal tea at bedtime. Chamomile and Valerian root are a good choice.
• Take some time to meditate and calm your mind before going to bed. You can try this breathing exercise.
• Eat fresh simple food such as steamed vegetables with basmati rice, mung beans and fruit.
• Take a Tai Chi, Qi Gong or restorative Hatha Yoga class.
• If you have constipation take 2 to 4 Triphala tablets at night with warm water.
Sweet dreams to all!