Spring is almost here! Spring is a Kapha season when moisture predominates aggravating Kapha dosha in our body. When Kapha is in excess we experience congestion, mucus, hay fever and so forth.
Ayurvedic Tips to reduce Kapha dosha:
• Avoid cold drinks and foods
• Avoid dairy products, red meats and fried foods
• Avoid sweet, sour and salty foods
• Emphasize baked or grilled vegetables; fish or chicken
• Drink warm water
• Take 1 or 2 tablets of Triphala at night (a combination of 3 herbs: amalaki, bibhitaki and haritaki). Triphala acts as a mild laxative and purgative and can be found in any health food store.
• Use pungent spices such as ginger, garlic, cinnamon and black pepper
• Drink Ginger Tea or Kapha Balancing Tea (see below)
Kapha Balancing Tea:
¼ teaspoon grated ginger or ginger powder
one pinch of turmeric powder
one pinch of cinnamon powder
1 cup of boiling water
Steep the spices for 5-10 minutes.
Contraindications: Do not use pungent spices such as ginger, red pepper and black pepper if you suffer from gastritis, heartburn or ulcers. Do not use triphala if you are pregnant.
Happy Spring Everybody!!